Monday, July 18, 2011

Mission Statement

After much careful consideration and frustration, I have decided to dedicate this blog to several issues plaguing American society in this day and age: issues of unemployment, the way employees conduct themselves in the workplace, and, possibly the least recognized issue of all, the way employers conduct themselves in the workplace. It is my hope that I will be able to reach out and make a positive impact in the collective American workplace via my postings.

To begin, I would like to explain why I have opted to publish my opinions on the matter, and why I feel I am qualified to do so. First, I have been unemployed for two years, one month, and fifteen days. I left my retail position as an Assistant Store Manager because I felt my place of employment suffered from a severe lack of integrity and business ethics, which began taking a toll on my physical and mental heath. Prior to that position, I worked for a Fortune 100 company that was, and still remains, a very lucrative business; I left that position for multiple reasons, some of which will likely be revealed over time. As I, and members of my family, seek to rejoin the workforce, I have noted several issues with potential employers that I feel need to be discussed in order to rectify them. As to why I feel I am qualified to do this, I have three reasons: 1- I have very little to lose in doing so, 2- my leadership/development experience has proven to be of a high caliber, and 3- my conscious compels me to at least make the effort to fix whatever problems I can.

My aim is to update this blog three times each week, following the common Monday-Wednesday-Friday format. My grandmother used to say that, "you should never put into writing what you don't want to see on the front page of the New York Times." Along those lines, I would be thrilled if the New York Times put anything I wrote here on their front page, as it would help get my message across. Please keep in mind, however, that while these are my opinions, some of them are either just plain good advice, or are ideas that have been put into practice with varying degrees of success.

No comments: